Back to the Museum

    School Cap

    The 1884 School Rules start with a mystifying directive:  Either College caps or hats with the school ribbon are to be worn outside the school.  Hats with the school ribbon are preferable on week-days, but College caps should be worn on Sunday.  Blue caps may be worn inside the school gates except on Sunday.

    It is thought that “College caps” are what we are would now call mortar boards, and the “hats with the school ribbon” are what we would now call boaters.  But the “blue caps … worn inside the school gates” are the direct ancestors of the caps that generations of later pupils were forced to wear, even if they became several sizes too small by the time they left, These caps were traditionally thrown into the River Avon en masse at the end of the Upper Fifth.



    School prefects’ caps had a full band in gold ribbon, full prefects' caps had a full band in silver ribbon and sub-prefects had a silver ribbon around the peak.  There were normally 5 school prefects of whom one was a senior prefect (Captain of School). The compulsory wearing of caps ended in the senior school early in the 1970s, but persisted in the junior school until 1998.

    1. School Cap