Back to the Museum

    Front door and steps of the school

    The main school building of 1879 was designed by the well-known local architect John Cundall (1836 – 1889), who was also responsible for Leamington Town Hall.  At one point Cundall was asked to “place the building at an angle with the road instead of parallel to it to avoid a North aspect for the Class Rooms and Dormitories” – to no avail, of course.  Thus we have a magnificent mock-Tudor frontage with its proud front door and steps – still facing north.

    Over the past 134 years the door and steps must have been the most photographed objects in the school, for this is where school sports teams, prefects, new staff and sometimes even visiting dignitaries are pictured.


    1. OB15 Main front door