Back to the Museum

    Opening of the Portcullis Club 1955

    In the early 1950s an Old Warwickian Club and Ground Committee was set up with the objective of looking for a suitable ground for the Old Warwickians Rugby Football Club,  a premises for the Old Warwickian Association headquarters and to raise funds to support this initiative.  The committee searched for suitable premises, and also started fund raising – this included a fete at Warwick School with a dance in Big School in the evening. There was even a bar in the reception area at school!

    3 Church Street, Warwick came on the open market and, through the good offices of OW Peter Bromwich, was purchased at auction for £1,750.


    D G Palmer, Peter Treadaway, Geoff Dodd, Geoff Malins, David Balfrey and many other OWs were heavily involved in raising £6,000 to re-furbish the interior of the building to provide a bar and a large committee room, which was made available for social events, and living accommodation for a resident steward.  Once the club was up and running it became a very successful headquarters running many events.

    Rugby teams were entertained and fed following their matches on the Park. Their bar takings were a welcome source of income.

    Following the purchase of the Hampton Road ground and the provision of a rugby clubhouse, less use was made of the club by the rugby teams. Over the next few years it became increasingly difficult to balance the accounts and in spite of valiant efforts of a stalwart band of OW volunteers, the eventual decision to close the club in 2007 became inevitable.

    1. Portcullis Club opening 1955